Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hypo Ride


So, I have had the pleasure of riding on a Melissa Hybrid last Sunday.  Finally, a board that is my size!  Of course, women specific was an added bonus to the mix.  Let me tell you, the two differences have made improvements on riding in a matter of minutes on the water.  Although, it is only the second board I have ever ridden it has impressed me much.

Bindings that actually fit is an amazing feeling.  I have been riding a 136 liquid force board with men size 10 bindings where I have to rake havoc on the strings to tighten it down enough.  Even then, the bindings loosen while riding letting my legs dance around.  A pain in the butt it is to deal with when it is my turn to be a noob at the sport of wakeboarding.  Much thanks to Tom and appreciation, I get to ride the Melissa Hybrid with a binding that fits my foot size.  Slipping into these babys tickles my feet with joy.

The first few seconds on top of this board gave different sensations to my feet.  First, I could tell the board was definitely smaller in size compared to the last.  Second, maneuverability awed me to the point where a smile formed at my lips.  This new sensation deemed over any bad beating I might receive afterword.  I proceeded to try carving the water to get a better feel of the board; real clean turns I discovered.

Now, for the moment of truth, I had to test it on the wake.  Normally, I ride around and bounce over the wakes to warm up my body.  I don't feel right if I don't and usually do better if I do this.  It is most likely to shake the nerves off, ha!  Anyway, I prepare myself by taking a breath in and then pull hard on my toe edge (just like many attempts before).  Ya gotta let the line slack a little until it starts to pull again.  At this point you switch to the heel edge and try to sit low to bring in the speed.  I did so and ended up like every other time, either on top of the other wake or just before it.  The boat comes around and my buddy Cam yells out to me, "Sit a little lower and you should have it!"

I shake my head letting him know I understand already have hearing this countless times.  However, I think I listened a bit better today at his words.  Here I am again pulling out on my toe edge getting ready to make the low, sitting cut on the heel edge remembering very clearly and imaging it.  I switch over, pull hard, sit down low, and pow!  The third sensation that felt right that day.  The feeling I know all so well from snowboarding.  The ease that should have been there before by popping up, gliding through the air, and a smooth landing that doesn't make your knees rattle.  Yes, a proper clearing of the wake.  Unfortunately, under the circumstances, cold water and no wet suit of any kind, I forgot to rejoice with the rest of crew on the boat.  Bearing through the cold, I stomped a few more to make sure I could do it again (with added front side 180's off my toes).  After taking note that I could not tell if the water was cold anymore I got back onto the boat where uncontrollable shivers consumed my body.  I was also told, I had a blue tint as they wrapped me in wet towels and sweatshirts.  I have no idea if I was on the verge of hypothermia, but from the sounds of it I was.  Fortunately, after sitting under the mass of towels and two of the guys sitting on either side of me the shivers subdued.

Despite the fact of hypothermia, this board put ups to my day.  I am sure there are others that are awe inspiring, but this one hits the cake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More