Sunday, August 15, 2010

Cliff Jumping Extremists -AKA Kenny’s Day-

*Note:  I did start this like the day after.  I got kind of lazy and finally finished it today.  Procrastination gotta love it. HA!  Don't judge me!  >_<
Saturday, July 10, a little over a month ago, a day of adventures presented itself on Thomas’ yacht (or his mothers technically).  I have never been a yacht before nor have I taken a short trip on one either.  Jeff said it would be fun because we’d find cliffs to jump off.   I silently disbelieved his statement wondering where exactly climbable cliffs would be besides Canyon Falls; the typical place to throw flesh and bone into freefall.  Apparently, hidden on a small island was proof my small disbelief wrong.  Skeptical at first, part of the crew became engulfed by Lake Superior.
There were ten of us; Tom, Jeff, Tony, Will, Will, Wills (…), Amanda, Tara, Kenny, and I set out for an adventure 4:00 P.M.  Everyone I knew except for Amanda, but soon became acquainted during our trip to the Huron Islands.  We set out from the super8 docks towards the entry where Superior greeted us.
Superior deemed happy with our presence with calm, glass-like water and a temperature bearable to jump in.  The crew, at first suspicious, grew courageous, daring the warnings of how cold the lake usually is.  I normally jump in with the first wave, but decided waiting this time.  Cold waters tend to make me shiver uncontrollably and turn my lips purple.  So, seeing that no one screamed, I enthusiastically jumped the clear waters.  Mm, refreshing.
The ten adventurers’ including myself felt like we were living life or so I observed.  A few jumps from the bow, a couple challenged a swim under the boat, riding on dolphins doing flips and shit, and admiring Superiors clear waters satisfied the first part of the trip (kudos to those who get it).  We all climbed back onto the yacht grabbing our towels waiting eagerly for our next stop.
The picture at the top is the first views of Huron Islands.  Everyone became chipper as it grew larger every minute.  Two light houses were the first things we eyed.  One stood at the very highest point of the island; the first picture below.  The second one stood on the left most side as we came closer.  Being idiotic, I thought the red lighthouse a home where people resided.  How sweet would that be to have this massive house on an Island am I right?  Anyhow, my hopes and dreams were smashed to smithereens as Jeff pointed out the fact it wasn’t. 
My disappointment definitely ended once we managed to dock the boat where a bunch of folk were drinking and having a blast on this fine, sunny day.  They soon recognized a few of the people on the boat and began chatting up a storm about going to school with their parents and blah, blah.   I didn’t really pay attention because heck I wanted to explore the island.   You only have so many hours in a day!  I curiously wandered away first inspecting the large rocks in the clear waters and a strange building.  Soon others escaped the family reunion to join my inspection of the building.  Sadly, the building didn’t have much to offer and I hopped out seeing everyone finally ready to wander the trail ahead.  I probably would have continued even if they weren’t there because I was growing impatient.
I wasn’t the only one impatient though apparently.  Everyone, or most everyone, got in front of me on the trail exploration and boy, were they scurrying quickly.  I mean normally on a hike I take my time to enjoy the moment, the scenery, and the people with you.  They were like sprinters on the 100 meter dash going up this trail.   And having sandals didn’t help with my short legs trying to keep up.  Ugh, I didn’t even get to enjoy the first steps of our island adventure.   I at least got to get a few pictures along the way which put me back of the pack.  It didn’t really bother me too much, but it would have been nice to get a group shot or something.
The highest part of the trail brought us to the highest point of the island where the white light house was located.  We had the pleasure to explore the small buildings and even climb them.  I was the first to find the double-seater outhouse.  Finding the outhouse definitely put a smile on my face especially when two of the guys jumped in it for a picture I took below.  :3  I think I need to get one of these in my house just for the enjoyment of saying, “And here’s my double-seated bathroom.”  Imagine the strange looks you’d get from whoever is touring your house.  Bwah, ha, ha, ha!  Simple humor is all I need.
Anyway, after some pictures and exploring the buildings I decided to scour the edges.  I thought it would be neat if there was a spot you could start climbing down.  There was!  A few other people must have saw me because they came hurtling towards the direction I was going as if they were trying to steal my hidden secret path.  Geeze, can’t I find something totally awesome on my own and first!  People are too impatient these days.  Oh well, I continued and we started our descent.  The path was easy and my eyes set on large rocks where we could easily take a swim in the water.  Not everyone in the group had the same destination leaving some going one way and some going the other way.  Tony took the lead in the direction I decided to go and Tara followed along.
Gaps and giant rocks made it fairly easy.  I had to take my sandals off for easy rock hopping.  The last obstacle was the hardest because if you screwed up you were pretty much f’d.  The gap was huge!  And if you didn’t make it you’d fall onto rocks below.  I eventually made it across and so did everyone else.  Fear dispersed because I was rewarded to take a dip in the water.  Tara and I took advantage of the water and swam to back towards other rocks to escape trying to cross the death gap.  Ha, ha!  It’s so funny I can throw myself off a 40 foot jump feeling amazingly comfortable, but when it comes to jumping a gap I’m terrified of getting hurt.  But that’s a good thing if I want to be a professional snowboarder right?  What use would I be if I was afraid of flinging spins off a jump?
Eventually some people disappeared back to the boat and the rest of us stayed around discovering cliffs to jump off of.  I guess Jeff was right about finding cliffs to jump to throw our selves off.  I was excited until I remembered I forgot to wear shorts to jump in with.  Two piece swim suits generally don’t mix so well with extreme.  Ha, ha!  I jumped off a smaller ledge with the other two girls, but still had malfunctions.  The bottoms went up the ass crack and the top slid up and over.  It didn’t feel so amazing realizing underwater that having the clearest, see-through water would have disadvantages.  Eh, whatever.
Climbing back up the rock face the boys introduced the higher ledges they had hopped off earlier before we got there.  I climbed down and around to stand below to watch.  My eyes stared as Kenny took a higher ledge than the other three boys there.  My swimsuit would have been mutilated from that drop.  I would have probably lost it if I had attempted this feat.  It didn’t stop Kenny though, and he took the plunge claiming victory over everyone else.  We celebrated by deeming the day Kenny’s Day!  Kenny was man, man is Kenny.  No one could deny and take away his extreme cliff jumping skills. 
Kenny Day soon dwindled down after the hype of the jump.  We all soon started heading back towards the boat where a few people waited for our return.  The walk back definitely suited me better because everyone didn’t seem to be overly impatient on the path this time.  Probably all of the anticipated excitement wore off.
The last thing I remembered before climbing back onto the boat was seeing Wills smoking a cigarette with three old guys.  The sight was humorous because after getting on the boat the fourth man I hadn’t seen just previously was passed out sleeping on the back of the boat.  Bwah, ha, ha, ha!  I hope he had a good weekend.  Soon after, we pushed off and made our way back to the Super8 where we had started the adventure.   The day was amazing!  I loved the overall day and hoped everyone had just as much fun as I did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More